Last updated: July 8, 2017 Toilet stools are a great way to alleviate bowel and digestion issues without the need for medicines or laxatives. You can prop your legs up and let your colon straighten out, which we cover below in our overview. But now that you’re looking, you should know that the world of toilet stools is a surprisingly competitive space. There are major name brands, competitive new comers, and everything in between. And not all toilet stools are the same, so how do you find the best toilet stool that fits your personal preferences?
While every single one of these toilet stools is designed for one thing (better poos), they still have their own nuances and features that set them a part. Or at least gives you, the consumer, options to choose from.
What we’ve gone ahead and done was collect a list of the top selling best toilet stool options as well as provide our own opinion on what to look for in a new toilet seat.
You can find that below.
|Models (Click For Details)||Material||Rating|
|Squatty Potty 7"||Plastic||4.4|
|Squatty Potty Adjustable Stool||Bamboo||4.5|
|Step and Go 7"||Plastic||4.2|
|Beyoung Foldable Toilet Stool||Plastic (Folding)||4.5|
|The Welles Step||Metal, Vinyl, Wood||4.2|
|Morning Smile Bathroom Toilet Stool||Plastic||4.4|
|Beyoung Toilet Stool 8"||Plastic||5.0|
|Relaxx Folding Toilet Foot Stool||Bamboo||4.1|
- Available in 7″ and 9″ Models
- Forward-Angled Platform
- Rubber Stoppers On Legs
- Made with Polyurethane Plastic
- Amazon Best-Seller
Much has been said, and will continue to be said, about the Squatty Potty and it’s our pick as the best toilet stool on the market. It’s likely the most well-known toilet stools available, yet many people still don’t use this or any pooping stool. The Squatty Potty revolutionized how you sell a toilet squat stool with their rainbow-pooping unicorn and poop-eating companion (see their hilarious commercial if you’ve not before).
What else can we say? The Squatty Potty is solid–as highlighted in our in-depth look. It has an angled platform, which promotes a better pooping posture and slides easily under the toilet and out of the way. You can also get the Squatty Potty in two different sizes, 7 and 9 inches.
What others have said:
- “I don’t know what to do with all the extra time I save now that I poop faster. I think I may take up cross-stitching.”
- “Oh Squatty Potty, You fill me with endless joy, Yet leave me empty.”
- “I have been using this product for several months now, and would be full of myself without it. In all this is a great product and would recommend to anyone even thinking about purchasing it.”
Other Great Choices:
The easyGopro has a great and simple design. A slightly forward-angled platform that maintains its width across the supporting legs makes the easyGopro and fantastic option for the family. Some of the other options on our list either have a very thing or non-existent connecting bridge. That makes it a challenge for younger or shorter kids to comfortably get their feet on the platform to use it. Hence, the bridge should be usable for those who need it.
The easyGopro is 7.5 inches tall and is a one-size-fits all offering. The stool is made in a polypropylene plastic and comes in a range of different colors like pink, green, purple and, now, gray. It’s a great option on our list of squat stools–check out our in-depth look here for more info!
What others have said:
- “I tried this product about 2 days ago. I had been “plugged up” for a few days and finally felt the urge. I sat on the toilet, put my feet on the stool, and let it drop.”
- “Saw Squatty Potty on Shark Tank and ordered one while still available on Amazon. It worked but has a large footprint so ordered an EasyGoPro from Amazon and liked it even more.”
- “I’d ordered two of the Squatty Potty stools, but they were so wide that they wouldn’t fit back against my toilets in either bathroom, as the vanities are pretty close to the toilets. Sent them back & ordered this one…boy, am I glad I did!!!”
We go right back to the Squatty Potty but this time, it’s to look at their bamboo toilet stool offering. While being a pricier option on our list, the Bamboo Squatty Potty does one thing the plastic models cannot do, and that is be adjusted.
The bamboo is also a significant upgrade to the overall look of the potty stool and can gel better with more modern bathroom interior designs. The bamboo is also much stronger around water-based environments, so you won’t need to worry about warping in the future.
This is one fantastic option and should perhaps best the best toilet stool on our list. But we’ll leave that one to you this time.
What others have said:
- “Well, I decided to buy the bamboo for his birthday instead. And it’s awesome. Not only is it just as effective as the cheapo edition, it takes up a much smaller footprint in the bathroom, and also LOOKS NICE.”
- “I am highly satisfied with this product. I chose the adjustable version because I was unsure what height I would want and I’m glad I did because I would have been wrong otherwise. … And, I really appreciate the product materials and design.”
- “I love this thing! I wanted a squatty potty but the white plastic one didn’t look appealing to meant all but then I saw this. It looks very attractive and is not bulky, as it tucks neatly under the toilet. It’s very light but sturdy. Feels very comfortable and natural. I poop like a champ now. Thanks Squatty Potty :)”
The Step and Go toilet stool’s competitive advantage comes in a couple of formats. The first is in the angle of the footrest. To us, it seems as though the footrest is angled forward a bit more than the Squatty Potty. Some like this, others find it a little more awkward but that is in the eyes of the user.
The other advantage is in the price. The Step and Go is generally on the lowest, if not the lowest, end of the price scale for a toilet squat stool. So if you need a pooping stool and want to try one with minimal cost, the Step and Go is a great option! You can see more in our in-depth look here!
What others have said:
- “This product did’t seem to me to be something that I would care too much for before I used it. After about a week, I cant believe how much of a difference it made. I guess all the doctors and Studies were right.”
- “Love love love love!!!!!! This is a MUST HAVE in any household. MUST HAVE!!!!!”
- “I was laughed at and questioned when the Step and Go showed up on our doorstep. We have had multiple guests stay with us since questioning my sanity and thinking it was hysterical, that is, until I encouraged them all to try it. Now, my friends and family are all proud owners of the Step and Go and we all cannot say enough great things about it.”
A folding toilet stool, such as this one from Beyoung, is a fantastic option for folks who are looking to keep their stools tucked away out of sight. Or, the stool can be folded up to take on the road for long trips or vacations.
The Beyoung Foldable Toilet Stool is also great for families due to the large platform space from left to right. No more dangling feet for youngsters, no more dead legs, no more struggling. At 7 inches high, it’s an average height for a toilet stool and fills an interesting role in the realm of toilet squat stools. It also comes in a nice, white color unlike the original Squatty Potty.
The design is significantly better than the Squatty Potty’s folding version too. The Beyoung Foldable Toilet Stool is thicker and built with a faveolated design.
The Squat-N-Go Toilet Stool is an interestingly designed toilet stool, and certainly a top contender on our list to find the best toilet stool. It’s closer to two connected footrests rather than a “stool” but regardless, there are some benefits to a stool like this.
The beauty of the Squat-N-Go, similarly to the last stool we looked at, is that it can easily be taken on the go—you know, like the name implies. It even comes with a nice bag with which to pack up the stool. It breaks down into three pieces and easily packs away. This easy breakdown also is great for hiding away in the bathroom after use.
This is not really a family stool, however, the Squat-N-Go is an excellent choice for curious shoppers looking for a mobile or easily hidden toilet stool. Check out more in-depth information here!
What others have said:
- “I ordered this product a few weeks ago and I just LOVE IT!!!!!!!
I’ve been using it every day.”
- “Ok ok, I know. I, like everybody, doubted this silly thing at first. But since I gave it a try, I really don’t know how I have been living without one. Oh now I remember….lets just say I used to write entire screenplays while doing my thing, and they were crap (sorry no more puns).”
- “I know people don’t like to talk about this but I mean where the heck do you think your immune system is? You have it primarily in your intestines. Seriously my Squat-n-Go has helped me to be “able to go” so much better it may be hard to notice at first.”
The Welles Step is very unique looking of the toilet stools listed here. Again, it’s not as much a stool as it is a couple of footrests. It’s made from a mix of metal, vinyl and wood, so while it looks flimsy we assure you it’s not.
The two footrests can be widened so you have flexibility in how far you stretch yourself. It also can be placed under the toilet further to keep it out of the way. This stool is much sturdier than it looks, trust us.
What others have said:
- “I’ve been using The Welles Step for a month. I’m an active female in my early 60’s & weigh 150 lbs. The Welles Step is great. It did not increase my elimination frequency, but it DID increase my elimination quantity. I believe it decreased my chronic back pain by 10%.”
- “If you have any problems with fissures or otherwise, this product is almost a must.”
- “I have been using this product for over 2 yrs and the only thing I’d like to change about it is to make it portable. I have health concerns & find the Welles Step helps so much. You are in a more anatomically correct position with this”
Here’s another unique-looking “toilet stool” from Morning Smile. The Morning Smile Bathroom Stool has similarities to both the Squat-N-Go and the Welles Step.
Versatile is the word that comes to mind with the Morning Smile Bathroom Toilet Stool. It has a compact, stackable design which makes it great to pack away or take to go. The feet and leg positions can be changed to suit the user. It also comes with a height enhancer to help with taller folks on small toilets or for people with tall toilets.
The heal-raising design is easily the most unique toilet stool design on our list and is something we really enjoy here at Toiletops.com.
What others have said:
- “We bought one last week and are really satisfied with the outcome of this product. It shortens the bathroom period by half. All of my family members are greatly enjoying that I am considering to buy a second one.”
- “It always takes me longer on the toilet than it seems like it should to take a #2. I’d seen an infamous video about a similar product that I was curious to try, but then I found this one. It seemed like it had a few interesting features that other, more simple stools (haha) do not. Anyway I’m having a much easier time pushing them out using this stool.“
- “I highly recommend this product. I often suffer from constipation problem, but this product definitely reduces time and pain spent on the toilet and helps smooth and clean bowel movements.”
The second Beyoung product is the standard offering from Beyoung. It’s easily the strongest of the toilet stools on our list and can hold up to 350 pounds!
The look of the Beyoung Toilet Stool is nice overall. The subtle curves give it an elegant look among your bathroom’s furnishings. It resembles stools like the Squatty Potty, however, provides a practical foot space underneath for stepping close to the toilet. Again, proximity is key. Its stock option is 8 inches, slightly above the normal 7-inch toilet squat stools.
The Faveolate Design again comes in handy to keep the Beyoung the strongest option on our list. If strength if your concern, look no further than the Beyoung Toilet Squat Stool.
Closing out our list is a unique blend of a couple different types of toilet squat stools listed here. Mixed between the Squatty Potty Bamboo Stool and the Squat-N-Go, the Relaxx Folding Toilet Stool is the best of both worlds! We also consider this a top model on our best toilet stool list.
The beauty of the Relaxx Toilet Foot Stool is it can be adjusted between 7, 8 and 9 inches. None of the other toilet stools on our list have that much flexibility in their sizes. With that kind of flexibility, you get a squatting device that fits people and toilets of all shapes and sizes.
Next, as you can see in the picture, is the collapsing feature that comes with the Relaxx Foot Stools. These are optimal for quick storage between uses or to bring with you on the road. When folded, they’re only 1 inch thick–2 inches together (for you math folks out there).
What others have said:
- Marcus: “All in all, I definitely recommend these over plastic alternatives and consider taking these with me for my next trip!”
- ghoefer: “More expensive than a hunk of plastic? Yes. Worth it. I like the quality of the bamboo, I like that you can choose the elevation you wish (7,8,9″).”
- T. Johnson: “I’d say overall the product is very attractive and has great functionality, any nitpicks would be that the logo is a bit large for the minimalistic styling of the product.”
Why a Toilet Stool?
It’s no secret that a toilet stool is better for overall bowel movements. But sometimes a breakdown or visual aid is beneficial, given that it’s difficult to understand how that might look from your perspective.
What you will see below is that sitting normally on the toilet, your puborectalis muscle constricts your colon and rectum area. This causes a lot of strain on the area which can lead to issues such as constipation or an incomplete evacuation. You also run an increased risk of hemorrhoids. The best toilet stool can virtually eliminate these problems and more! By simply putting your knees into more of a “squatting” position, your bowel movements will occur the way your body was made to. You also won’t need to strain as hard and men will get relief on their prostates. There really is no better way to use the toilet than to use a toilet stool.
It’s time we Westerners consider a major pooing culture change.
According to Giulia Enders, a German microbiologist, we Westerners have been pooing poorly for years. You can find in her book Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ, she covers a wide range of topics relating to our stomachs, of course covering the colon and proper pooing. However she also covers other topics in relation to better digestive health. So if you’re looking for more than a toilet stool but a life change, perhaps this is a great place to start.
In any case, rather than sitting on the toilet seat, deemed the “normal way” in the West, we should be squatting. “1.2 billion people around the world who squat have almost no incidence of diverticulitis and fewer problems with piles,” said Dr. Enders.
Diverticulitis is a digestive disease and is common and most prevalent in the Western world. It is also uncommon in places like Africa and Asia. This again is due to how we Westerners as a culture poo versus our counterparts in the East. Take the average toilet in India for example. Our author in this post covers how to properly use the toilets in India as a visitor. It’s not “just some hole in the ground” like people like to joke.
What you see is a toilet designed to make you to squat in the body’s natural pooing position. You have to stand over and squat, thus giving you the optimal pooing angle. This gives Indians much healthier bowel movements and lowers the strain on the body. While adopting these toilets would be a challenge to Westerners, a toilet squat stool can be the next best option to transform your pooing habits.
Dr. Enders went on further to say, “we in the West, on the other hand, squeeze our gut tissue until it comes out of our bottoms.” She’s not wrong here and Westerners know it. Rather than sit in a position that requires minimal effort during a bowel movement, we Westerners pinch off our colons and make the process difficult. No one likes difficult poos and it’s time to make a change. It’s time to say, “No more strenuous poos!”
Choosing The Right Height
The average toilet stool is around 7 inches. The Squatty Potty, Squat-N-Go, and Step and Go all offer a 7 inch base model. The easyGopro comes in at 7.5 inches. The Beyoung Toilet Stool offers an 8 inch size only. And the Squatty Potty and Squat-N-Go offer 9 inch versions and their wooden versions can be adjustable.
The average American (as example) male is approximately 5 ft. 9 inches and females approximately 5 ft 4 inches (CDC source). That means that most of the standard, baseline toilet stool models will work on the vast majority of user. We’d say anyone taller than 6’2″ might want to consider a 8 or 9-inch model to help them get their knees up high. If the stool is too low, you just can’t achieve the ideal angle.
Users should try to hit the magic number of approximately 35 degrees (as pictured above) between your spine and thighs. This will straighten out your colon and rectum even more and allow an easier bowel movement every time.
And who doesn’t want easier poos?
Stability can be a major factor when choosing the best toilet stool for you. While the wooden toilet squat stools are typically the most stable of stools, some of the plastic stools can hold over 300 pounds! For a piece of plastic, that is impressive. You’ll want to do your research on stability when it comes to the plastic toilet squat stools, as not all of them are made the same.
If stability is any concern, the wooden toilet squat stool will be the safest option.
Pending your home set up, you’ll need to consider how you want to organize and deal with your toilet stool when it’s not in use. The most obvious place your toilet stool will end up is right where it is used. Out of laziness, most of us will end up doing so unless there is company which even then. That’s why you need to make sure you pick the best toilet stool for whatever YOU want.
I wouldn’t put it past anyone to leave it there anyway.
The reason this is a point to consider is because you’re going to be interacting with your toilet more than you will use your toilet squat stool. Men obviously will stand over it and women, while using it if they like, don’t need to either. So it needs to have a level of convenience that you can work around.
Certain toilet squat stools, like the Squat-N-Go, have this in mind with their offering. You can see in the video provided here that the Squat-N-Go easily tears down and conveniently stows away off to the side. This makes for a tidy toilet area when the toilet squat stool is not in use.
Most all other options are going to be a platform that doesn’t conveniently breakdown. So if you want to always be working around it, I suggest looking at something men can slide their feet under (to get close to the toilet when standing). The Beyoung Stool has a nice design that lets it get underneath the toilet, along with the Squatty Potty.
So that’s the gist. Just bear in mind that you’ll likely be working around even the best toilet stool and doing so often.
Opinion On The Best Toilet Stool Available?
Overall, any of the toilet stools you see here are going to be well worth it. What you need to figure out is what small features make the most sense in choosing the best toilet stool for you and your family.
Does it need to accommodate children?
Does it need to be portable?
Should it be stylish?
If any of these toilet stools were double the price, they’d still be worth it! The health benefits are well worth the investment of a toilet stool. You’ll be able to lower your risk of Diverticulitis, hemorrhoids, and lessen the amount you strain during a bowel movement.
What you have to figure out is how the best toilet stool for you will look, act, and function in your toilet space.